Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Undertaker - A True Legend

I am one of the lucky ones who can proudly say I grew up watching the Undertaker situp, every time he is down on the mat, since 1995, the first time WWF was telecasted in India. I was hardly 8 years old when I first saw him on black and white television. I don't know how I remember it but I guess I remember it because the Undertaker's situp and gaining power from the urn was not something we regularly see on television. It was supernatural.



I remember watching the highlights of his casket match with Yokozuna, where the Undertaker fought with almost every heal on the roster. I remember his match with the imposter Undertaker, who later played the Undertaker in a Bollywood movie Khiladiyon ka Khiladi; and like most Indians, even I thought he was the real one for more than 7 years. I remember few of his deadly matches with Mankind, even the one where he threw Mankind from the top of the cell twice. I remember the debut of Kane, and we kids declaring Kane as the strongest fighter ever. I saw Inferno matches, more casket matches, buried alive matches. His scary aura used to spread from the television in the room, filled with kids like me.



When the Ministry of Darkness was introduced, the Undertaker became scary as hell but still, I did not want him to ever get beaten up or lose to any opponent. Even when the Undertaker was marrying Stephanie Mcmahon in the eldritch ceremony, I actually wanted it to happen successfully. I started hating Austin and others for not allowing the ceremony to finish. Damn. If that ceremony would have been successful, Triple H would not have got Stephanie.



I even used to enjoy when Undertaker silently left the ring unscathed like a Boss, when Austin, Big Show, Shamrock and others fought the rest of the Ministry consisting of Bradshaw, Faarooq, Mideon, Viscera, Gangrel, Edge and Christian; and not caring even if his men got beaten up. The eviler the Undertaker became the more fun he was to watch.



The bottom line is that I thought the wrestling is real, even though they told us daily, "This is entertainment. Don't try this at home." I followed what they told us so religiously that I used to fight with my friends in school, even though I was the weakest in the class. Later they found that children are using the catch in it and modified it to just "Don't try this."




I hated the biker character of the Undertaker, though I still wanted him to win every match and not lose to likes of Rock, Austin, Kurt Angle, Triple H, John Cena, Rob Van Dam, Shawn Michaels or Brock Lesnar. I jumped with joy when he chokeslammed Rikishi from the roof of the cell.




I initially hated Kane when he buried the Undertaker alive but then I thanked him for bringing the Dead Man again. The Undertaker became fun to watch again. The Ghastliest Mind Games he played with other wrestlers, he feuded with, did not just terrorized them but also the fifty thousand live audiences as well. But he went into a mode of bringing other superstars to the top of the ladder and making their careers, eventually by feuding with them and even losing to them.





Almost every superstar have used the push by Undertaker at some point in their career, but many have reached the top just because of him, either by feuding with him or just by his help. To name a few big ones.

Mankind
Stone Cold Steve Austin (Yes it's true)
Kane
Big Show
Batista
Randy Orton
The Great Khali (I am an Indian)




The Undertaker has given to WWE much more than what WWE has given to the Undertaker. Earlier, he couldn't even go in public easily because he had a character to maintain all the time. I am not sure how will it be after his retirement. Now he deserves a life he wants and not portray a fake character all the time. Everyone in the locker room loves and respects him. Not just his peers, even Vince Mcmahon loves him a lot. When he was a full-timer, he was Vince's right hand. Had Undertaker not been in WWF/E, it would have become boring like WCW. After many superstars left WWF for WCW, Undertaker single-handedly managed to keep WWF on par with WCW, until newer superstars grew up on the roster.

For almost a decade, the Undertaker had been a part-timer, making appearances just around the Wrestlemania. My only interest in WWE revolved around knowing his opponent in next Wrestlemania and the series of events around it. I loved when he defeated countless opponents at Wrestlemania and when he signed the contract with Brock Lesnar's blood.




But I hate WWE for breaking his streak. I lost interest in WWE after that for months but regained my interest when he returned again. After all, it was the Undertaker. He lost because he is loyal to WWE and he is old school. 



I hate to watch WWE now when it seems that the Undertaker has retired. And by losing to who, Roman Reigns. Not him! It should have been at least Randy Orton if there had to be someone or he could have retired winning his last match like a Boss.



Dear Undertaker, people are thanking you for the 27 years you have given to WWE. I am no special than them. But I thank you for the 22 years I have seen you situp. I am 30 years old now. I saw everything you did and remember everything I saw about you from the time I could remember television. You are undoubtedly the greatest superstar and the greatest legend of all time. WWE or wrestling will not be the same without you.



Thank You Taker, The Undertaker, The American Bad Ass, Big Evil, The Deadman, The Demon Of Death Valley, The Last Outlaw, The Lord Of Darkness, The Phenom. You probably have more names than the Mother Of Dragons.


#ThankYouTaker
#TheUndertaker
#TheAmericanBadAss
#BigEvil
#TheDeadman
#TheDemonOfDeathValley
#TheLastOutlaw
#TheLordOfDarkness
#ThePhenom

No comments:

How pets and being stress-free can help in getting pregnant

We got 2 cats as soon as we returned from a 9 days vacation from Goa. As we were new to cats and with them playing around us, we were focuse...